Finance professor studies economic gap between African countries and rest of the world
Although many Americans are very concerned with the internal economic problems plaguing their country, Lemma Senbet, the William E. Mayer chair professor of finance, understands the importance of looking at the growth of the global economy. Senbet has largely focused on the economies in Africa, where most of his recent research has taken place.
"Africa has recently seen rapid growth in their economies, but there is still a developing gap between African countries and the rest of the world," said Senbet.
According to Senbet, this gap partly results from the intrinsic "linkage between public policies and private sectors" and their functional discord. He pointed to the recent U.S. recession as an example.
"Public policy did not match up with the housing market, thus there was a great societal and governmental impact when it failed," said Senbet.
How can the economic growth in African countries affect the U.S.?
"It will add diversification for financers," Senbet said. "Africa adds more choices for investors so that they don't invest only in the U.S. economy. In that way, it will put more money into the African economies, adding to the growth. It will be mutually beneficial."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge