Finance professor studies economic gap between African countries and rest of the world
Although many Americans are very concerned with the internal economic problems plaguing their country, Lemma Senbet, the William E. Mayer chair professor of finance, understands the importance of looking at the growth of the global economy. Senbet has largely focused on the economies in Africa, where most of his recent research has taken place.
"Africa has recently seen rapid growth in their economies, but there is still a developing gap between African countries and the rest of the world," said Senbet.
According to Senbet, this gap partly results from the intrinsic "linkage between public policies and private sectors" and their functional discord. He pointed to the recent U.S. recession as an example.
"Public policy did not match up with the housing market, thus there was a great societal and governmental impact when it failed," said Senbet.
How can the economic growth in African countries affect the U.S.?
"It will add diversification for financers," Senbet said. "Africa adds more choices for investors so that they don't invest only in the U.S. economy. In that way, it will put more money into the African economies, adding to the growth. It will be mutually beneficial."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'