Decreasing Unemployment Boosts Confidence
The United States economy added 165,000 jobs in April and the unemployment rate fell slightly to 7.5 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistic's April employment report released May 3.
Sectors that had the biggest gains included professional and business services at 73,000 jobs, food services at 38,000, retail at 29,000, and health care at 19,000.
BLS economist Sutton Putlia, a retail specialist, thinks there could be more job growth in the sector next month. A cold spring delayed the demand for building materials and garden supplies, she said.
The other largest change was a revision of the March job figure. Originally estimated at a disappointing 88,000, this month's report changed the figure to 138,000.
The average work week fell from 34.6 hours in March to 34.4 hours in April, and 11.7 million people are unemployed, according to the report.
Despite these negatives, junior accounting and finance major Matt Koller thinks the report is a positive indicator for the economy, in part because the unemployment rate is at a four year low.
Senior economics major Brent Ascher said the improvement was a good sign. "It's improvement but it's slow," he added.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum