Decreased Consumer Confidence in the US
Lackluster job prospects caused the consumer sentiment rating to drop in April while consumer confidence rebounded from a March downturn.
The Consumer Confidence Index rose from 61.9 in March to 68.1 in April, while the Consumer Sentiment Index fell from 78.6 to 76.4 in the same period. Consumer confidence and sentiment reflect people's opinion on the health of the economy, and are released by economic groups the Conference Board and Thomson Reuters respectively.
Conference Board economist Ken Goldstein said that the average consumer bases their faith in the economy on their perception of three markets: finance, housing, and labor. The most important, he added, is the labor market because people feel better spending when their source of income is secure.
Only 25 percent of those surveyed for consumer sentiment said they expect unemployment to improve in the next year, potentially contributing to the small decline in the figure. The report cited rising home prices and stock values as factors stopping the rating from falling further.
Goldstein added that recent month to month changes in the Consumer Confidence Survey proved insignificant. "We've basically been stuck for a few months, but we're almost four years out of the recession and the rating is not much higher than it was then," he said.
Senior economics major Ethan Goldspiel said he has seen little evidence that the economy is improving. "I have a lot of friends who are still looking for jobs," he said.
Junior finance and accounting major Matt Koller does think the economy is recovering because of a strong stock market. This directly affects people's pensions, he added, and should drive consumer sentiment in the coming months.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum