Student Starts Mexican Food Truck
A Maryland senior is starting his own food truck business in Takoma Park and plans to sell healthy tacos at affordable prices.
Aaron Simon, a 25-year-old supply chain management major, is set to open his truck in the Liberty Gas Station parking lot by the end of May. Simon invested over $17,000 in Tako Mas Tacos so far, a play on the town's name that can be pronounced "Takoma's Tacos."
He bought the truck in October and spent the following months preparing it to open, securing permits, and negotiating a lease on Liberty's lot.
The menu includes tacos and quesadillas that will be made from corn tortillas, and burritos made from flour tortillas. Customers can choose between ground beef, chicken, pulled pork, and fish for the main ingredient in their meal. He will also sell falafels, a Mediterranean dish made from ground chickpeas served on pita bread and topped with vegetables.
Simon thinks his fish tacos, made using tilapia, and falafels will be the biggest draws to his truck, calling them "healthy choices." However, two students agree that they would not buy tacos from a food truck in any circumstance, even though they both like tacos. "Food trucks are just sketchy," said sophomore Kristen Roberts.
Junior Larry Laynburd said he does not like fish tacos, while Roberts has never had one. Laynburd would buy falafel from a food truck, he said.
All tacos and quesadillas will be one for $3, two for $5, and three for $7, with the option of making the meal a platter for $2 more. Platters come with rice and beans or a salad.
Laynburd said $3 is too much for one taco adding, "There are better places for tacos, like Taco Bell."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum