World Bank economist visits International Economics and Finance Society
World Bank economist Onur Ozlu gave a presentation to members of the International Economics and Finance Society in Van Munching Hall last week.
Ozlu, an operations officer for the Africa region of the World Bank, began by giving an overview of the bank, and covered its 1950s origins to its current activities. After he covered the bank's chronology, Ozlu dove into the World Bank's present day focus: eliminating poverty across the world.
"In 2006, we did a survey around the world to try to understand what poverty is,"
Ozlu said. "It's not just a money problem."
Ozlu went on to describe that in order to fight poverty globally, the World Bank must address challenges associated with food scarcity, health, housing, education, jobs, security, water and giving people in developing nations a voice.
"For a lot of things we work on, we very much work on access," said Ozlu, who
added that the things impoverished people lack often exist but aren't accessible to them.
Touching on the World Bank's role as a multilateral organization, Ozlu discussed different partners the bank works with to accomplish its goals. He also mentioned the bank's funding, which includes international bond markets, donor commitments, repayments and trust funds.
In the presentation's conclusion, Ozlu predicted some statistics for the future. He said that in the next 20 years, 50 million people will enter the "rich world," while 1.5 billion will fall into the "poor world."
"This is threatening for global peace and security which is why we do our work at
the bank," said Ozlu.
Before leaving, Ozlu answered students' questions, which ranged in topic from nation-building, to debts, to projects that Ozlu is working on in Africa.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge