Female professionals join together
Smith women are on a mission to aid women in their future success in the workforce.
In the spring 2003, three Smith students created the Smith School Women's Society (SSWS), an organization where women would be able to be exposed to important information in how to prepare themselves for the workforce.
In accomplishing the task, they formed a niche where university women who had the common interest of achieving professional success could come together, according to SSWS' website.
The organization received a high interest from students very quickly and was soon established enough to gain recognition by the SGA and by SUSA.
Officers and members of the SSWS created strategies to implement among the organization. These strategies were made to set up for future professional success of the group. These ideas make up the organization and continue to promote success for career-driven women.
Their mission statement seeks to offer Smith women the opportunity to learn important skills for success in the workplace by aiding in the personal and career development of women while offering an established network consisting of undergraduates, alumni, faculty, and industry professionals, according to their website.
The SSWS hosts several events a year, one of which was their recent "Project Business Wear" fashion show, says senior finance major Akhila Iruku, a SSWS officer.
Last year, the SSWS along with other organizations brought Deloitte Consulting to Smith and hosted an information session dedicated to women in the workforce.
Events like such offer women a great opportunity to build connections and network with students and future employers.
Ultimately, the SSWS hopes to expand their network and connections so that Smith women can benefit in the future.
The SSWS strives to organize events and socials, which they hope Smith women will take advantage of and learn from.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge