Female professionals join together
Smith women are on a mission to aid women in their future success in the workforce.
In the spring 2003, three Smith students created the Smith School Women's Society (SSWS), an organization where women would be able to be exposed to important information in how to prepare themselves for the workforce.
In accomplishing the task, they formed a niche where university women who had the common interest of achieving professional success could come together, according to SSWS' website.
The organization received a high interest from students very quickly and was soon established enough to gain recognition by the SGA and by SUSA.
Officers and members of the SSWS created strategies to implement among the organization. These strategies were made to set up for future professional success of the group. These ideas make up the organization and continue to promote success for career-driven women.
Their mission statement seeks to offer Smith women the opportunity to learn important skills for success in the workplace by aiding in the personal and career development of women while offering an established network consisting of undergraduates, alumni, faculty, and industry professionals, according to their website.
The SSWS hosts several events a year, one of which was their recent "Project Business Wear" fashion show, says senior finance major Akhila Iruku, a SSWS officer.
Last year, the SSWS along with other organizations brought Deloitte Consulting to Smith and hosted an information session dedicated to women in the workforce.
Events like such offer women a great opportunity to build connections and network with students and future employers.
Ultimately, the SSWS hopes to expand their network and connections so that Smith women can benefit in the future.
The SSWS strives to organize events and socials, which they hope Smith women will take advantage of and learn from.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board