Smith school celebrates 25th anniversary of Dingman Center
Students and faculty packed Frank Auditorium and an adjacent overflow room on the night of Sept. 21, to commemorate an important milestone in Smith School history: the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship's 25th anniversary.
The Center's benefactor, Michael Dingman, was accompanied by his family and distinguished colleagues at this celebration, which opened with a speech by Dingman himself—his first at the university in 15 years. Dingman expressed his great enthusiasm for the university's Education Abroad programs in China and Israel, placing particular emphasis on China's success and quick economic growth in recent years and the necessity of America to play "catch-up" in the entrepreneurial world. With a marked sense of urgency, Dingman encouraged his audience to be unafraid to "make tough decisions." He also stressed the importance of a good business team and said: "Assets are only as good as the people running the show – people make all the difference."
Following Dingman's inspiring speech, four student teams were given the opportunity to literally "pitch Dingman," each team getting five minutes to present a business plan and three minutes of Q-and-A with the panel of judges. The competitors were composed of Roboseed, Leading Start Kids, Advanced Pulsejet Engines and Blind Pig Cocktails.
The audience voted Blind Pig Cocktails, which makes all-natural, ready-to-drink mixed drinks, as their favorite, while Leading Start Kids, a preschool with entrepreneurial skill-based curricula, came in at a close second. The winner of the competition and a $2,500 prize awarded by Dingman, however, was Roboseed, boasting the world's smallest single-wing camera-equipped motor craft.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections