Maryland Music Business Society hosts Sean Peoples, founder of Socket Records
The Maryland Music Business Society Tuesday hosted music management entrepreneur Sean Peoples.
Peoples spoke on a range of topics, from picking bands to represent to the stress of managing a double life. He said the combination of his day job with spending every other moment developing his record label has caused some hair loss.
Peoples began his independent record label, Socket Records, in 2004, and now manages 17 bands. He said his two most successful bands have been The Cornell West Theory and The Fly Girlz.
The Cornell West Theory, according to the Sockets Records Web site, bases its music on the "prolific writings and philosophies" of Princeton professor Cornell West. The Fly Girlz are six 12- to 14-year-olds who came together during a New York City afterschool program.
University of Maryland senior Larisha Warner came to Peoples' talk because she eventually wants to have her own label, too. The amount of work Peoples said he put into his label struck Warner.
Playing it out in her head, Warner said: "I have to have this job but still want to live this dream," holding her hands out.
Sophomore graphic design major John Lee came to the talk from a different angle. He records his own music and learned from Peoples the smaller details about how to approach a label as a musician.
Peoples described his process in choosing bands as "serendipitous." Because of his lack of free time he doesn't actively seek out bands nor can he keep up with the two to three demos he receives a week. Usually, the bands he finds are opening for other bigger bands.
From there, he evaluates the bands based on their ability to perform live and the following they may or may not have.
Being a perfectionist when it comes to his music, Lee didn't feel ready to pitch to Peoples.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Munch News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MUNCH NEWS
RECENT THE MUNCH CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections